Popular Low-Bounce Option Becomes Seventh SM9 Stock Grind
The unrivaled versatility of the Vokey Design SM9 wedge lineup will be adding even more shot making options with the introduction of the low-bounce T Grind, one of the most popular grinds on the PGA TOUR. Previously available only as a WedgeWorks custom order, the T Grind will now be widely available in both stock and custom options as an extension to the existing SM9 family. Offered in SM9 58.04T and 60.04T models, the T becomes the seventh grind in the SM9 matrix.
Engineered by Master Craftsman Bob Vokey, the T Grind is built for players seeking to unlock ultimate creativity and versatility around the greens. As a low-bounce wedge with a narrow crescent surface and wider back flange, the grind allows for shot making under any condition. Players with shallow and precise deliveries, as well as those playing off firm conditions, will benefit from the T Grind’s sole design. Compared to the L Grind, SM9’s other low bounce option, the T Grind features a narrower forward sole and more aggressive heel, toe and trailing edge relief.
“Wedge play is an art, and the T Grind brings out the best in the artist,” Vokey said. “The leading edge stays low to the playing surface as the wedge is rotated, which allows the golfer to hit a variety of shots from tight lies. This is the wedge that really made Vokey Grinds an important part of our process – and is still a great option to this day.”
T GRIND ON TOUR
The Vokey T Grind has continued to grow in popularity across the worldwide professional tours and is the lob wedge of choice for many of the game’s best players including Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, Cameron Smith, Will Zalatoris and Cameron Young. Nine different events during the 2021-2022 PGA TOUR season were won by players with a T Grind lob wedge in the bag, including Smith’s victory at the 150th Open Championship at St. Andrews. That week at the Old Course, the T Grind was so popular that Vokey Tour Rep Aaron Dill ran out of heads on the Titleist Tour Van.
“The ‘T’ is a very versatile sole,” Dill said. “It is low bounce and it frees the golfer up to get under the ball easily when the turf feels firm, or where they are short-sided. The last thing you want in those situations is a grind that you don’t feel can help you pull off those shots. That is when the T Grind frees you up to hit those more difficult shots that require that loft.”
Vokey Design has been the most played wedge on the PGA TOUR every year since 2004.
- Ultimate in shot versatility
- Vokey SM9 wedges provide the ultimate in shot versatility through seven tour-proven grinds – F, S, M, K, L, D and T. Finding the right grind to match your swing and playing conditions will give you the best turf interaction, contact and shot performance.
- Progressive Center of Gravity for precise distance & trajectory control
- The CG has been raised vertically by adding weight to the topline design, where a tapered pad at the back of the toe helps align the CG properly without being visible from the playing position – promoting a more controlled ball flight and solid contact.
- New patented Spin Milled process for maximum spin
- A new Spin Milled cutting process in the SM9 models – which includes tightening our allowable tolerances - produces consistently sharper grooves wedge after wedge, resulting in higher, more consistent spin.
VOKEY WEDGE SELECTOR
The Vokey Wedge Selector tool helps golfers select the proper loft, bounce and grind options for their swing and course conditions. Vokey recommends that golfers visit their local Titleist fitter to confirm the results. Experience the Vokey Wedge Selector tool here: Vokey Wedge Selector Tool
ADVANCED PERSONALISATION AND CUSTOM OPTIONS
Vokey Design SM9 wedges feature a modern, clean look, which provides a canvas for customisation. The WedgeWorks custom options include:
- Six unique toe engravings
- Stamping options | 10-character Straight/Freestyle stamping; 15 characters around the toe; and two lines of 10 characters each
- Custom paint-filled | Loft, Bounce and Grind markings and BV Wings logo
- SM9 wedges can also be custom ordered with an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands and ferrules. For a complete list of options, visit www.Vokey.com
STOCK SHAFT and GRIP
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 White
LOFTS, FINISHES and BOUNCE
Loft and Bounce: 58.04T RH/LH | 60.04T RH/LH
Available in Tour Chrome, Brushed Steel, Jet Black finishes. Raw finish available for custom only.
Vokey Design SM9 T Grind will be available globally on 10th March.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Who is it for?
A: The T Grind is perfect for players looking for low bounce and a narrow sole that hugs the ground. With maximum heel, toe, and trailing edge relief, it allows for ultimate shot-making versatility, in any condition.
Q: What is the difference between the T Grind and the L Grind?
A: Both grinds are considered low bounce wedges and require precise delivery, but the T Grind features a narrower forward sole (towards the leading edge) and more aggressive heel, toe, and trailing edge grind compared to the L Grind which allows the leading edge sits closer to the ground, especially on open-faced shots. The WW T Grind has a wider back flange (trailing edge) compared to the SM9 L Grind’s narrow back flange (trailing edge).
Q: What is the difference between the T Grind and the WW Low Bounce K Grind?
A: Both grinds are considered low bounce wedges but achieve low bounce with unique sole designs. The T Grind features an aggressive heel, toe, and trailing edge grind with the bounce focused towards the leading edge, whereas the WW Low Bounce K Grind features a very wide, highly cambered (rounded) sole similar to the SM9 K Grind with the bounce spread across the entire sole.